Friday, July 10, 2009

Why I am writing this blog

Welcome to my blog. I have decided to write for three main reasons.

The first is to share our road to becoming parents with friends and family who are interested. Several people in our lives know the challenges we are going through, and this is a place to come get updates on where we're at, hear what's going on in my head, and learn about the issues we are facing.

The second reason is to bring awareness to the issues of infertility. Although it's a very private struggle and I'm not ready to reveal it to everyone I know, I have been challenged to share my story. This is my way of doing it with some level of anonymity. Approximately 1 in 6 couples experience difficulty conceiving and yet it's not something that's widely talked about. Chances are there are several people in your lives dealing with this, and you probably don't know it. I've learned a lot in the last 2 years, and although I'm no expert, I would love to share what I have learned to help people they know who are dealing with this. I know I was pretty clueless before this became a reality in my life.

The last and probably most important reason for this blog is that this is a way I can be there for others who are dealing with the same issues. The greatest encouragment in this journey has been meeting other women or couples who have gone through or are currently dealing with infertility. To know that I'm not alone, and that there are others who understand has been a huge factor in getting through the hard times. Sharing our stories is powerful and although each one is different I want this to be a place where someone can come and realize they are not struggling alone. If you know someone dealing with infertility, feel free to direct them here. If you know who I am, please respect my desire to remain anonymous for now and not share my name. I'm happy to connect with someone personally via email etc., so if you know someone, just contact me and we can work it out.

This blog is not about sympathy. That's the last thing I want. It's about those who want to follow my journey, who want to learn more about infertility or help someone they know going through it, and it's about sharing my story with others who feel alone. I have no idea how much longer I'll be on this road... if I'll be pregnant in a month or if we'll add to our family through adoption in several years. Whatever happens, you are welcome for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments. If you know me, please comment anonymously (you can use your initials) and remember not to use my name. Thanks!